Sunday, December 6, 2009

December is in full swing.......

Sorry for the length of passing time since my last post. I am keeping myself very busy trying to get all the crafting done that I can before I stop and begin my Christmas baking. I am an absolute nut for baking cookies and making treats for family and friends at this time of year. I have created a monster of sorts because I now have 2 friends who want to pay me to bake cookies for them. I am flattered but know I've got my work cut out for me.

So in the spirit of baking here's one of my favorite cookie recipes......

Frosted Date Creams


Cookies
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Vanilla Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 to 4 tablespoons hot water


1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease cookie sheet. In large bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter, the brown sugar, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and the egg with spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in dates and nuts.
2. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over low heat. Stir in powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until blended. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Spread cooled cookies with frosting.

No comments: